Re: portability as a goal for debian?

Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> wrote:
>OK. But perhaps gcc isn't a good example; personally I couldn't even
>name any of the gcc extensions. On the other hand, the improvements
>in tar and make are much more obvious (to me, anyway).

Especially when you consider OpenBSD tar; at least on the OpenBSD box we
have at work, we had to give up and install GNU tar on the grounds that
the standard tar on the system could only write old-format archives. The
system was installed recently, so I don't think it's all *that* out of
date.

Perhaps the Debian BSD folks have fixed this?