Re: portability as a goal for debian?

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 01:49:55AM +0100, Richard Atterer wrote:
> I consider GNU extensions just another form of "embrace & extend". If
> a Solaris user is happy with the Solaris tools, then they shouldn't
> have to switch to the GNU tools to compile/use my software.

I don't think every software author should have to write for the
simplest compiler just because some OSs don't have anything better.
For example, from memory HP-UX doesn't have an ANSI C compiler
as part of the standard OS, only K&R. Personally I'm not giving
up ANSI C for any reason.

Using the software may be a different story.

Hamish