From: Sam TH [mailto:sam@uchicago.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2001 19:25
To: Ben Collins
Cc: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: libdb3?

What precise breakage was occuring?  I ask because I currently have
3.2.9 installed in /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.2, and have had no problems
yet.  Of course, this installation only includes libdb.a, as opposed
to the shared libraries.

Is there any way you could be persuaded to provide only libdb3-dev
packages?  There's at least one application (Subversion) which I have
to have db3 for, and we all know that non-packaged software is Evil.

If you aren't willing, I'd be happy to try to work on the problem,
first to get just libdb3-dev working, and then to get the full shared
library package available.

Did Sleepycat decide to stop doing symbol versioning for db3?  Or was
there a similar situtation for the transition to db2?

Thanks

	sam th
	sam@uchicago.edu
	http://www.abisource.com/~sam/