RE: libdb3?

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Josh Miller wrote:

> I'd also like to know what breakage...I'm not having any problems, and I've
> rebuilt sasl with 3.2.9 and built cyrus 2.0.12 with db 3.2.9 on two
> computers

The problems occur with packages like sendmail - which includes ldap
and sasl libraries (which also link against db)...  More problematic
is the hidden dependancies created by nsswitch - which can also be using
db.

Either the symbols *must* be versioned to allow coexisting versions, or
absolutely *everything* must be rebuilt against the newest libraries to
prevent obscure, intermittent (by which version gets loaded first) and
system unique problems.

This is something I've spent a little bit of time thinking about -
sendmail folk prefere we run w/db3 as it has fixed some rather serious
bugs...

I've never worked on something that provide a library of this type, but
would be willing to persue this with upstream (and I guess take the
package if needed).

--
Rick Nelson
... Where was Stac Electronics when Microsoft invented Doublespace? Where