Re: shared vs. statis libs

What I did when faced with a similar situation (cqcam, which I should
update at some point to the most recent upstream) was exactly what you
propose as option 2 below.  No one has ever bothered to complain, and
as I know of only one other program that was ever written to use that
library, no one is likely to.

In short, I'd only make it into a shared library if you want to as a
way of learning the ins and outs of constructing shared libraries.
Unless the scintilla library is used by some other program also
packaged in debian, there's no benefit at all to having that
functionality in a shared, as opposed to static, library.  Unless the
scintilla library is used by several popular programs, I see no
benefit to the debian archive in having it as a shared library.