shared vs. statis libs

Hello,

One of my packages (scite) ships with a static library called
'scintilla', which, in theory could be used as a shared library, if I
made the appropriate code and makefile changes.

I'm curious as to whether this is a Good Idea(tm) or if I should just
leave it.

Generally, I've considered making a scintilla-dev package, but since
the two parts are always distributed together, and I can't find
anything linked to it..

Anyway, here are my options, and I'd love to hear any comments:

1) Leave it as is.
2) Build a scintilla-dev package with the headers, and the .a lib.
3) Convert the library to a .so, submit it upstream, and hope they use
it.

I'm relatively new, and while I've fixed some upstream bugs, and
64-bit stuff, I'm not sure how much behavioural changes Debian
maintainers should exert on something like this.

Aubin

--
"In such an ugly time the real protest is beauty." - Refused