Re: holding packages

On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 11:43:37PM +1100, Drew Parsons wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 09:05:39PM +1100, Brian May wrote:

> > Personally I would like to be able to do something like:
> >
> > dpkg --setstatus hold libldap2-dev libsasl-dev libhsync0 libhsync-dev
> >
> > all on the one dpkg command line.
>

> Yes!  Precisely!  The suggested method of piping hold into dpkg is quite
> ridiculous in my opinion, when it is dpkg's responsibility to perform the
> hold.
>
> apt could have the same thing, I imagine:
>
> apt-get --set-status hold lilo pcmcia-cs

It's probably more consistent to have this funtionality in apt, since
it's IMO the "package updating program"'s (apt) responsibility to manage
the information whether a package should be upgraded or not. The
"installed package manager" (dpkg) doesn't have to know about this, I
guess (but historically does).

 - Sebastian