Re: XEmacs and LDAP

 >> On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 09:40:50AM +0000, Edouard Lafargue wrote:
 >> >
 >> >   I noticed that xemacs (xemacs-21-gtk in my case) seems to have
 >> > trouble with LDAP and eudc: is it because the version included
 >> > in unstable was compiled without support for LDAP ? Wouldn't it
 >> > be a good thing to include it ? Getting LDAP completion when I
 >> > send emails would be neat.

 Dave> It would be nice to have, but is it good to have a library
 Dave> dependency for all other users of emacs who doesn't want or
 Dave> need LDAP?

 Dave> I find it concerning that many variants of many packages are
 Dave> cluttering up th packages list.  With that in mind I have to
 Dave> consider it more prudent to:

 Dave> 1) keep the package as 'slim' as possible (i.e. no LDAP
 Dave>    dependency)
 Dave> and
 Dave> 2) put a ccouple of comments in the appropriate debian/* files
 Dave>     to let
 Dave> 	people apt-get source them and rebuild with the extra options
 Dave> 	they want/need more easily.

The xemacs (not gtk variants) depend on libldap2, installed size 484.
I don't really think that's too onerous when you consider you've
already installed:
xemacs21-nomule       4563
xemacs21-bin           434
xemacs21-support      8508
xemacs21-basesupport 38117
                     -----
                     51622

(and that's assuming the most basic setup with no mule.  with mule you
add another 14276.)

So to simplify my life and other's lives I just compile with ldap.

Jim

--
@James LewisMoss <dres@debian.org>      |  Blessed Be!
@    http://jimdres.home.mindspring.com |  Linux is kewl!