Re: up for adoption: libc5

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 09:19:13PM +0000, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 09:25:05PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > Note that because some people still use libc5, but nobody but Debian
> > supports it to any extent, you will receive rare[1] but intensive thank you
> > messages from someone whose life you just saved by keeping libc5 alive
please don't remove it! Many commercial programs relay on libc5 at
least Maple V does IIRC. Yes I know they should have moved, but we do
need libc5 support at our department and still do install new boxes
who need libc5 for reasons stated above. It would be a pity if we
would have to potato for those machines and then upgrade to whatever
is used in that point in the future. Maybe a sort of convinience tree
would be a solution for that kind of situation where obsolete packages
where dropped and one could simply do a
apt-get install libc5/convinience with the upcoming pinning feature...

Thanks,

Matthias
--
+-------------created at Wed Feb 28 17:27:35 CET 2001-----------------+
|    Matthias Berse                          Phone:+49-2323-42397      |