Re: State of tcl/tk for woody ?

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 05:12:31PM +0100, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Gregor Hoffleit <gregor@mediasupervision.de> writes:
>

> > I noticed that the tcl8.3/tk8.3 packages still have not yet made their way
>
>   But the way, why are there so many versions of tcl/tk in Debian ? Are all
>   these versions really usefull or is this just a matter of not recompiling
>   applications against the new libs ?

AIUI, new tcl/tk version typically are sufficiently different that
it's not just a recompile required for client programs to work with
the new libs. (After all, tcl is interpreted, not compiled, anyway!)

In general, we aim to minimise the number of different versions by the
time we release.  This may not always be possible.

Jules