Re: dpkg-scanlibs

>>>>> "WA" == Wichert Akkerman <wichert@cistron.nl> writes:

    WA> You can give advice. I can ignore it :)

Sure, of course. If I was really strongly set, I'd write my own damn
devscripts in Forth or something.

    WA> Any conversion is bound to change the behaviour subtly. In
    WA> this case the new code definitely behaves different, but that
    WA> is on purpose (and one of the reasons for the rewrite).

Like I said, moving target -> more bugs. Just so you know.

    Me> 2) Converting the scripts is like writing them over from
    Me> scratch. You get the same kind of bugginess as from a first
    Me> implementation.

    WA> That's not entirely true. When you do a rewrite you get things
    WA> you don't have when you do the initial implementation: [...]

Yes, but there's a cost in defects that comes from writing -any-
code. So it helps if you know ahead of time that you're getting some
bang for your bug buck.

    Me> 4) Adding another language means requiring an extra piece of
    Me> software (python) for Debian developers.

    WA> lintian will be rewritten in python [...]

Yeesh! Can't say that's a great comfort.

    WA> Looks like python is here to stay, and I bet most developers
    WA> have already installed it.

Cool! That means I can be the last holdout, like one of those
geriatric Japanese soldiers they used to find on Pacific islands,
still fighting WWII.

    Me> 5) Adding another language means requiring a new language for
    Me> other devscript developers, bug checkers, and the like.

    WA> How is this different from your previous point?

4) is about *executing* the script. 5) is about *reading* and
*writing* the scripts.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou