Re: dpkg-scanlibs

On 02/26/01 Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Paolo Molaro wrote:
> > Language wars aside (a rationale for the intended switch to python would
> > be welcome, though, if it's real), the main problem with the python
> > replacement is speed right now.
>
> Ah, I see the problem. dpkg-shlibdeps does one dpkg -S call for all
> libraries, while dpkg-scanlibs does a new one for each library. That
> can easily be fixed though.. expect a new version later today.

On my system it uses dlocate, though:
Checking if dlocate is installed and working
Test succeeded, will use dlocate

It looks like dlocate could be improved too:

$ time dlocate -S libc.so.6 librt.so.1
libc6: /lib/libc.so.6
libc6-dbg: /usr/lib/debug/libc.so.6
libc6: /lib/librt.so.1
libc6-dbg: /usr/lib/debug/librt.so.1

real	0m12.925s
user	0m10.120s
sys	0m0.090s

i.e., it takes 5-6 seconds for each lib (this is a K6-400, BTW).
Note that dpkg -S (after the first run that took 50 seconds) scales much better:

$ time dpkg -S libc.so.6  librt.so.1
libc6: /lib/libc.so.6
libc6-dbg: /usr/lib/debug/libc.so.6
libc6-dbg: /usr/lib/debug/librt.so.1