Re: dpkg-scanlibs

On 02/26/01 Ben Collins wrote:
> > To return to being serious, I think that this script is short enough
> > that it's not worth mandating python installation for all developers
> > just to use it. It would be trivial to rewrite it in Perl. Can Python
> > produce small excecutables that do not depend on pythonic libraries?
>
> I think wichert's intention is to turn all of dpkg-dev into python. So,
> this one small script is just the first stone in the greater scheme of
> things :)

That is even scarier:-)
I don't have problems with the maintainer switching to his preferred
language, but if there's something I could do to help with the perl
scripts, let me know.
Language wars aside (a rationale for the intended switch to python would
be welcome, though, if it's real), the main problem with the python
replacement is speed right now. With a simple package:

$ time dpkg-shlibdeps -O debian/tmp/usr/sbin/stunnel
shlibs:Depends=libc6 (>= 2.2.1-2), libssl096, libwrap0

real	0m2.481s
user	0m2.110s
sys	0m0.350s
$ time ~/dpkg-scanlibs.py -O debian/tmp/usr/sbin/stunnel
shlibs:Depends= libssl096, libc6 (>= 2.2.1-2), libwrap0

real	0m43.591s
user	0m42.680s
sys	0m0.560s

With a more complex package of mine it takes 4 minutes (instead of
4 seconds).

lupus

lupus@debian.org                                     debian/rules
lupus@ximian.com                             Monkeys do it better