Re: ITP: lpr by GNU

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 11:32:59AM +0100, A Mennucc1 wrote:
> and I must say that I hate when people in the OpenSource community
> duplicate the efforts (think KDE <-> GNOME)

Then it's probably for the best that Linus didn't feel that way when
he saw FreeBSD :) Not to get into a huge discussion, but the
duplication of effort isn't a big thing, because we're not dealing
with a finite resource in the convential sense. People will work on
what they want to. The GNOME people didn't feel inclined to contribute
to KDE, and I'm happy they didn't because I generally prefer GNOME,
and GTK+ apps. Likely, these people didn't like the other versions of
print drivers, so they did there own. At least you can choose now,
freedom of choice, is just as important as freedom of speech, and I
think it's grossly underestimated.