Re: ITP: lpr by GNU

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Jules Bean wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 03:05:29PM +0100, Paul Slootman wrote:
> > On Thu 22 Feb 2001, A Mennucc1 wrote:
> > >
> > > some people have been working on this, and their results
> > > is in
> > >  http://lpr.sourceforge.net/
> > >
> > > I would like to package it
> >
> > If you do, I'd recommend calling the package "gnulpr", as it's more than
> > just a reimplementation of lpr (or at least that appears to be the
> > goal).
>
> Yes, it's all getting rather confusing really... it's funny how an
> annoying problem (unsophisticated unix printing architecture) can
> trigger four or more independent solutions.  Now linux users have to
> choose between CUPS, Omni, PPR, Lprng and gnulpr. Not to mention the
> (slightly higher-level) gimp-print, gnome-print and so on.

It seems that at least the printer databases for CUPS, PDQ and
lpr* will be shared by the effort at www.linuxprinting.org and
therefore I think it is advisable to coordinate the development of debian
printing system packages so we end up with several packages which
all provide the same printer database. Perhaps we should have a
printing-policy?

I just wrote a simple filter to get lpd-o-matic to work with lprng without
the ugly mfomatic/magicfilter hack. So if there was a foomatic package
with the printer database and the print filters from linuxprinting.org, it
could be used with the existing lprng and cups packages.
However, just as the omni driver, foomatic needs a patched
ghostscript. Would the gs maintainer provide that?

If nobody wants to package foomatic I could that myself but I must tell
you I'm not a maintainer yet, just a poor little applicant in the NM
queue.

--
Manfred Wassmann
PGP and GnuPG public keys available at http://germany.keyserver.net