Re: why Linux?

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 07:12:12PM +1100, Drew Parsons wrote:
> The reason I bring this up is that where I'm working we're preparing to
> deploy a Java-based web application using JSP technology, and my boss
> asked me to convince him to deploy the system on Linux rather than NT
> (which we've been developing on - the fear of the technical unknown for
> them).

Well, if they dont know Linux and can't support it, they should not use it.
What kind of Java Framework are you using? Currently Linux Java is lacking
behind a bit. You will get a VM on solaris or NT faster. The Performace is
recently quite compareable, NT and Solaris used to be much faster than
Linux due to missing hotspot VMs.

So in short: if you are the person who has to run it, you could argue pro
Linux, if others have to run it and they dont want or cant learn linux it
may be a bad idea to risk your head :)

Unless you are heading for a very big installation with a lot of access the
performance is no issue. And if it is the only Linux Box in an NT shop it
wont save you costs, so the TCO is no argument, eighter.

Greetings
Bernd
--
  (OO)      -- Bernd_Eckenfels@Wendelinusstrasse39.76646Bruchsal.de --