Re: startx gone, how do I keep up, what did I miss?

On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 12:29:18PM -0600, David Starner wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 18, 2001 at 01:06:11PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> > How about something like a MOTD file for each distribution?  Then
> > tools like apt could display the MOTD before (or during) package
> > downloading.
> >
> > That way, when something is seriously broken, the MOTD could say, for
> > example, "The current X packages break startx.  Use at your own risk."
> > or something.
>
> To be useful, it must be maintained promptly, and even then you won't
> catch the first dozen people to download these packages. You're going
> to have to make a lot of snap judgements about what's the fault of the
> new download, and what's just local stuff or user error. People are
> going to complain everytime you say it's X's fault, when it's actually
> perl's, or anything similar. All it would take to add it to apt is
> dropping "lynx http://www.debian.org/~bob/MOTD"; into the apt.conf file
> and adding a query afterwords, so all we need is a volunteer to
> write http://www.debian.org/~bob/MOTD and keep it uptodate.
>

>> Actually we have a rlease note for each distribution and we will make sure
>> new distributions do not have known problems. But we cannot do a dayly motd
>> since that is too much work. Zhe most current info you can get from Debian
>> Weekly.

Yes it would be some work.  And the quality of the reports might
be dubious, particularly where interactions between packages
apply.

For example, startx missing is the **least** of my problems this week.
It turns out that strict.pm is now in /usr/share/perl/5.6.0 which is
NOT in the @INC of all my embedded perl scripts which are statically
linked with 5.005/CORE.  I didn't notice those had died until the
cron jobs sent email about failures (after I fixed mutt which had
changed to black on black).

FWIW, I'll volunteer to think on lynx "http://www.debian.org/~bob/MOTD";.
If it amounted to "email motd@asdf" with observations and anything
more than 10 days old got flushed that might be enough.  It would ONLY
be advisory and maybe limited to those tracking unstable d'jour.  Can't think
more got to go recompile or symlink all my C/perl scripts.....  ;^>

Best,

cfm