Re: startx gone, how do I keep up, what did I miss?

Peter Makholm <peter@makholm.net> writes:

> Wichert has pointed you to the -change list. But you could also use
> the apt-listchange which allows you to read change files before
> upgrading (you still have to download the packages though).
>
> Of course both places only informs you of known potential problems.

How about something like a MOTD file for each distribution?  Then
tools like apt could display the MOTD before (or during) package
downloading.

That way, when something is seriously broken, the MOTD could say, for
example, "The current X packages break startx.  Use at your own risk."
or something.