Re: ps2pdf and xpdf problems.

Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> writes:

> > Third, use the Type 1 versions of Computer Modern.  By default, dvips
> > will use metafont-created bitmaps and turn them into a type 3 font.
>
> I forgot to say how to do this.  dvips -Ppdf is good for making pdfs.

I need to be clearer when I post, since a number of people have
emailed me about this.

dvips -Ppdf does not make PDFs.  What it does is tell dvips to use a
config file[1] which has a number of config tweaks to generate
postscript ideal for conversion with Distiller, PStill, or ps2pdf.
This config file tries to turn off dvips's grid fitting, tells it to
use the Type-1 versions of the CMR fonts, and some other junk.  By
default, dvips will use bitmapped versions of the CMR fonts, which can
look good on a printer but won't in a PDF.

Normally, were I to use ps2pdf to make a pdf[2] I'd do something like

dvips -Ppdf file.dvi -o
ps2pdf file.ps

Footnotes:
[1]  /etc/texmf/dvips/config.pdf, actually.

[2]  I don't, normally.  Everything I use on a daily basis is
supported by pdfTeX, but once in a while I'll use something like
changebar which isn't.

WinErr: 012 Window closed - Do not look inside