Re: in what status is Debian/Hurd?

From: Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
Subject: Re: in what status is Debian/Hurd?
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 20:03:23 +0100

> On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 04:47:17PM +0900, Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
> > But there are something I can't understand.  For example
> > jtex-base is of 'Architechture all' but it seems there is no
> > such package in binary-hurd-i386.
>
> It was probably never updated since the Hurd port was created. Packages that
> were last updated before the Hurd port was created are missing, because we
> did start out empty. A simple NMU binary upload would fix this.

I see and I could find jtex-base at least now.  It might be my
fault.

> > Is there any rule to upload any package in binary-hurd-i386
> > or can one do NMU freely?
>
> Please don't touch the base packages and the tool chain without letting us
> know. Occasionally, new bugs pop up which breaks things. At least one
> package can't be build from unchanged source, that is dpkg.

Of course I never even imagined to fiddle with base packages.
I only interested in applications of end users.

> Everything else is fair game. It would be nice for you to post your intention,
> but don't hesitate to upload something you did and tested, the chance for
> conflicts is pretty low right now. (You don't need to post a full list if
> they are many. Just say that you are looking at everything in tex/, or
> everything related to tex, or something like that).

Okay, I see.  I will check more thoroughly and post my intention
if possible and, as you guessed correctly, my interest is
mainly TeX related packages.

> I would be very happy to see more people uploading compiled packages and
> find bugs in them. The autobuilder will be good for packages which knowingly
> compile cleanly, but it does a bad job for new areas.

One thing I am afraid of, is that some packages need to modify
a bit to build successfully.  For example, rxvt(-ml) need to
delete xpm-related entries from rules because xpm librariy seems
not available at present.  And krxvt in rxvt-ml would be only one
terminal emulator supporting Japanese at present.

Sould I wait until xpm library will available or hurd-specific
rxvt is possible?

Also dh_suidregister caused errors under the latest environment
as far as I tried.  This could be worked aroud if I did not updated
perhaps...

# I just crashed my Hurd system few days ago and I re-installed
# Hurd again but it is not enough to build packages yet.

Thanks for your kind suggestions and valuable information.

Best Regards,			 2001.2.12

--
 Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp>