Re: in what status is Debian/Hurd?

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 04:47:17PM +0900, Atsuhito Kohda wrote:
> But there are something I can't understand.  For example
> jtex-base is of 'Architechture all' but it seems there is no
> such package in binary-hurd-i386.

It was probably never updated since the Hurd port was created. Packages that
were last updated before the Hurd port was created are missing, because we
did start out empty. A simple NMU binary upload would fix this.

> Furthermore I could build jtex-bin but I can't find this in
> binary-hurd-i386.

Yes, there are many of such packages. The autobuilder needs to be updated
and revived, but in any way to properly use it a bug in the network server
must be fixed, as I have only remote access.

> Is there any rule to upload any package in binary-hurd-i386
> or can one do NMU freely?

Please don't touch the base packages and the tool chain without letting us
know. Occasionally, new bugs pop up which breaks things. At least one
package can't be build from unchanged source, that is dpkg.
Everything else is fair game. It would be nice for you to post your intention,
but don't hesitate to upload something you did and tested, the chance for
conflicts is pretty low right now. (You don't need to post a full list if
they are many. Just say that you are looking at everything in tex/, or
everything related to tex, or something like that).

I would be very happy to see more people uploading compiled packages and
find bugs in them. The autobuilder will be good for packages which knowingly
compile cleanly, but it does a bad job for new areas.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de