Re: GS-CJK: Please test.

Hi, Anthony!

At Thu, 8 Feb 2001 23:57:51 -0700,
Anthony Fok wrote:

> If I understand correctly, does that mean that packages like
> xfonts-arphic-bkai00mp and tfm-arphic-gkai00mp will no longer be needed?

I can say xfonts-arphic package is no longer needed if defoma is adopted.
I have little knowledge about TeX and what tfm-arphic is doing,
so i can't answer about that. Sorry.
If the job of tfm-arphic-* is something that can be automated,
it could be possible to provide a defoma-tex package which configures
about (only TrueType?) fonts for TeX.

Err, does the tfm-arphic use ttf2tfm (or alike name) and generates .tfm
files for various sizes? i've once heard of the tool like that.

> Another question is, is there a mechanism in defoma to handle font
> aliases?  For example, the xfonts-arphic-bkai00mp package also contains a
> set of "-default-kai-*-big5-0" aliases, like in the attached file
> "/etc/X11/fonts/TrueType/xfonts-arphic-bkai00mp.alias".  Are these specified
> in the defoma font hint file, or should the font package include the
> font.alias file?

Current defoma-x handles X-Alias and X-SimpleAlias for the aliasing purpose.
X-Alias could be used for making -default-kai-*-0-0-0-0- aliases.
To handle Size-specified aliases, some improvement must be done to the
configuration script. I'll do that work after comleting speeding up of
defoma.

> Another question: What does "TrueTypeT" and "Type1T" stand for?  Why the
> extra "T"?  :-)

Extra T for Test :) Not to cause confcliction to other Debian official
packages.

> > (Netscape seems to generate abnormal PostScript files regarding with
> > Simplified-Chinese web pages unfortunately. GS-CJK cannot handle them.)
>
> Which version of Netscape are you using?  And which locale was Netscape
> started from?  It might have something to do with the Netscape.ad for that
> locale.  For example, in
> /usr/lib/netscape/476/netscape/zh_CN.GB2312/Netscape, the following
> is set:
>
> 	*documentFonts.gb2312*psname:		Song-Medium-GB-H
> 	*documentFonts.gb2312*pscode:		gb2312
> 	*documentFonts.gb2312*pswidth:		1000
> 	*documentFonts.gb2312*psascent:		950

Thanks for the kind instruction, but these were correctly set.

I've modified the psname: line to GBZenKai-Medium-GB-EUC-H (EUC is the
important change), and got the correct image of Simplified Chinese page
with ttf-arphic-gkai00mp and cmap-adobe-gb1! I wonder why i didn't
noticed the Chinese characters of generated .ps file are EUC encoding :/

Anthony, thanks for the encouraging comments. Your great CJK works are
well known in Japan too :)

Regards,

--
Yasuhiro Take aka hirot / <take@debian.org>