Re: assimilating OpenBSD

On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 11:06:50PM +0100, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> * Hamish Moffatt (hamish@debian.org) [010206 23:02]:
> > Is it still Debian if you replace the user space tools?
> > Maybe so, but it's not something I would ever use.
>
> Wait untill you build a firewall...

So it's your contention that debian is not suited for building
firewalls?  Care to back up this assertion with facts, or are you
basing it on suppositions?

I will agree with you if you say "the debian (and in fact GNU/Linux)
core has not been audited to the same degree that OpenBSD has".  I
would suggest, though, that the "right" solution is to form an audit
team to perform this audit ... that makes all of debian better and
improves GNU/Linux as well.

I don't feel that the lack of a complete security audit makes debian
unsuitable for firewalling tasks.  YMMV.

Cheers,

Micromuse Inc.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.