Re: Daemontools

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 09:28:20AM +0100, Klaus Reimer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Yes, this is how it should be done.  That way, people can use familiar
> > /etc/init.d/package scripts to control the service instead of having to
> > learn daemontools.
>
> I don't agree with that. If people don't want to learn daemontools why they
> are using it? They can use daemontools for dnscache and other
> daemontools-needing software WITHOUT switching init.d-services to
> daemontools. So I don't see a need in those init.d-scripts.

There's a need for consistency in Debian.  People should always be able to
stop and start a service by using /etc/init.d/service scripts.

> It may be ok if there are init.d-scripts only called by the user, but these
> script are called also by the system on startup. I think this can be an
> error-source. If someone knows daemontools but is not familiar with the crazy
> way it is implemented into debian and such a init script is doing something
> nasty (Like starting the service even if it's marked as "down") the user is
> confused and wonder why debian is calling "svc -u" in some init scripts.

So, don't run them on startup.  I am not saying you have to run them on
startup, just that they should be there for convenience and consistency.

--Adam

--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>