Re: RFC: Central version control for Debian

On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 01:03:50PM +0100, Goswin Brederlow wrote:

> Potato has ~2 GB of gzip sources, uncompress that gives you maybe
> 3 GB.
>
> Each day theres about 50 MB source updates. Some are new orig.tar.gz
> files, which could be diffed. But just assume the uncompressed diffs
> are about 50 MB/day.
>
> That means each year the debian cvs grows 18 GB in size. So in one
> year time we have 6 times the size.
>
> Who do you think will host that?

Last night, I downloaded source for all required and important packages, and
fed them into CVS with cvs-inject.  The compressed sources (tar.gz, diff.gz,
dsc) were 70M.  These packages used DBS or a similar setup, with repacked
upstream sources in the tar.gz, so CVS is next to useless for them:

gcc-2.95
glibc
openldap2
openldap
pam
shadow
silo

These had broken source packages, that either didn't unpack or cvs-inject
didn't like:

ae
perl-base
sysvinit

The rest imported with no problem:

amiga-fdisk
at
atari-bootstrap
atari-fdisk
base-files
base-passwd
bash
bc
bsdmainutils
console-data
console-tools
cpio
cron
cyrus-sasl
db
debianutils
diff
dpkg
e2fsprogs
ed
exim
fileutils
findutils
gcc-defaults
gdbm
grep
groff
gzip
hostname
hurd
inetutils
libident
lilo
logrotate
mac-fdisk
mailx
makedev
man-db
manpages
mawk
mbr
modutils
ncurses
nvi
pcre3
perl-5.005
perl-5.6
popt
powerpc-utils
procps
quik
readline4
sed
setserial
shellutils
slang
sysklogd
tar
texinfo
textutils
update
util-linux
whois

The CVS tree containing the third set of packages totals 178M.  I'm going to
look into importing standard as well (about twice as many packages in all).

The only thing missing is a tool to take a Debian source package and import it
into the CVS tree, updating an existing one to a newer Debian revision.

--
 - mdz