Re: Install and RAID

On Fri 26 Jan 2001, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> | On Fri 26 Jan 2001, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> | >
> | > The real argument for hardware RAID is uptime: hotswap with software
> | > RAID is not common at all, and it's standard for hardware RAID. For
> |
> | Depends on your definition of hotswap.  With Disksuite (solaris)
> | hotswapping is easy, although you *do* have to tell the system
> | to detach and reattach the disk manually.
>
> like you can with Linux' scsi devices as well.  some echo commands
> into the proper place in /proc does that for you.  (No, I don't

Umm, no, that's not what I meant.
I meant that you have to tell the system that submirror XX of mirror X
is going to be detached, hence forget all about it; and after the
physical device is replaced, reattach the submirror to the mirror
device, at which point the resyncing starts. With hardware RAID the RAID
controller does this stuff automagically.

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.net      http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/
work:       paul@murphy.nl       http://www.murphy.nl/