Re: Problems with using debconf in init script...

Michael Bramer <grisu@debian.org> writes:

> On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 08:49:31PM -0800, Philippe Troin wrote:
> > The am-utils init script (enclosed here) uses debconf to retrieve the
> > configuration information.
>
> NO!
>
> Don't use debconf in
> 	- init-script
> 	- in the Program itself
>
> Debian is not a MS-W***, it is a UNIX. And I configure my system with
> the vi[m] and not with dpkg-reconfig !
>
> Ask with debconf, write a config-file and ask this config-file.
>

> ( SuSe has a lot of "Don't edit this file, use rc.conf" in /etc/, this
> is not nice. Don't start this in Debian. please)

Well, I'd rather prefer to have the configuration information nicely
separated from the script. Note, one file per script and human
editable. That allows the maintainer to update the script without
forcing the admin to merge manually. I'm not sure if this is what SuSE
does, but I don't see why it would be bad.

	Falk