User concerned about packages status

Hi

If this question is supposed to go to another list please forward.
My question is quite simple.What can I do as a user when packages
I care about aren't updated in months/years ,the proper bug reports
have been filled but still nothing is happening with them.Keep filling
bug reports won't help obviously,it will eventually get the package
removed when it won't build from source anymore which is not the idea.
 It bit me recently with rocks-n-diamonds(old) and omniorb(old and is
now GPL
so it shouldn't be in non-free) .
So what will be the proper way to adress such problems,since I'm sure
there are other packages in this situation?
 Building from source it's really not an option,it's OK once in a while
but then
what good is a package-manager if it's not used ,and building a deb
package as
complex as omniorb is really not a user issue IMHO.

 Thanks