Re: [Fwd: [RFC] Making NM 'by recommendation']

On Sat, Jan 27, 2001 at 06:43:53PM -0700, John Galt wrote:

> Let me toss in a rider here: the recommending DD becomes their AM.  THAT
> will open the door.

How practical would this be?  If someone is working primarily on
-boot, but there are no AMs in the boot team, do we want to prevent
the applicant from being accepted because there is no-one willing/able
to take them through the process?  On the other hand, if the DD can at
least encourage the applicant to get all their stuff ready and to show
the AM that they know what they are doing and that they are ready to
become a developer, a good AM should be able to process their
application in <=2 days (at least that's my experience).

On the other hand, if Dale is willing to arrange this, there seems to
be no reason why a sponsored applicant cannot complete the NM stuff
with his sponsor as AM; this would be essentially the same.

I guess that there's no reason why the recommending DD should *have*
to be the AM, as that might prevent otherwise potential developers
from "getting in", but at the same time, there's every reason why we
could encourage them to do so.

   Julian

         Julian Gilbey, Dept of Maths, Queen Mary, Univ. of London
       Debian GNU/Linux Developer,  see http://people.debian.org/~jdg
  Donate free food to the world's hungry: see http://www.thehungersite.com/