Re: [Fwd: [RFC] Making NM 'by recommendation']

On Sun, Jan 28, 2001 at 09:53:33AM +0100, Martin Albert wrote:
> Spent last week picking pkg, new upstream, fixing that, build scripts &
> configure, using both 1st time, contact author, get gpg, key, keyserver,
> sucking each miserable dot of debian/doc/p-d over & over, NM rules, beg-
> ged for being sponsored for upload, answer some debian-user, finish pkg
> and finally applied. I know i want to maintain the pkg to its best, have
> pgpkey, etc., work on debian for years, read the lists ...

Then I guess you'd get a recommendation easily.

> I'ld ___NEVER___ beg any one to propose me! This is n o t freedom!

You don't need to beg, just asking someone that is familiar with you is
enough. It's nothing terrible.

> Social Contract names Users, Community, Free Software and 'not hide
> problems'. Frankly, in my oppinion, a closing of the frontdesk would go
> far beyond 'problem hiding'.

Again, this closing of the frontdesk. Martin's proposal doesn't want to
close anything. We JUST want to save AM time so we can use it with people
that know what they want to do. There's nothing about stopping the NM
process again, I don't know where this came from.

> -- Real Courses - Web, shell, perl, DebianMaintainer, DebianDocuments

Courses? In Debian's site? Why? Those should be elsewhere: w3c.org,
perl.org? Documentation for new maintainers? Sure, point your browser at
http://debian.org/devel/join... Debian documents? Everything is in the
developer's corner.

> -- Real Debian Docs!

ALL the needed documentation is on debian.org, linked either on the
developer's corner or from the homepage. What kind of info didn't you find
there?

--
Jordi Mallach Pérez || jordi@pusa.informat.uv.es || Rediscovering Freedom,
   aka Oskuro in    || jordi@sindominio.net      || Using Debian GNU/Linux

http://sindominio.net  GnuPG public information:      pub  1024D/917A225E
telnet pusa.uv.es 23   73ED 4244 FD43 5886 20AC  2644 2584 94BA 917A 225E