Re: [Fwd: [RFC] Making NM 'by recommendation']

> >I think this is not, in any way, what Michael was suggesting.  I don't
> >know whether you have been following what has been happening in the
> >New Maintainer arena for the last two years, but the rate at which
> >people are currently being accepted into Debian is far higher than it
> >has ever been before.

Just minutes ago, i've sent my NM Application on the Web Interface. So
you know my place on the list.  But, although i ...

Spent last week picking pkg, new upstream, fixing that, build scripts &
configure, using both 1st time, contact author, get gpg, key, keyserver,
sucking each miserable dot of debian/doc/p-d over & over, NM rules, beg-
ged for being sponsored for upload, answer some debian-user, finish pkg
and finally applied. I know i want to maintain the pkg to its best, have
pgpkey, etc., work on debian for years, read the lists ...

I would do all that for a good piece of software to bring to
p e o p l e  in a good distro that can aid to make people f r e e.

I'ld ___NEVER___ beg any one to propose me! This is n o t freedom!
(rather send linus reincarnation mail, begging him to start over again)

It's only good things, that make good things good. And You have
to do them. There are not too much out there who would be willing.
People are getting more confused each day for very good reasons.

And now, can't you see what you're gettin' - THEY ARE COMING TO YOU!
(scary enough, fer sure - and exactly what linus t. told some time)
Industry spending billions to make them come - they come to you!
Debian is a good name. They try it and - it  f e e l s  g o o d!
So aLL of You have already done Good Things! Or People WOULDN'T COME.

But besides a sparse Website, scaring docs, flame wars & touching care,
there is not too much you do offer. They can't see that cruel or super
code, that makes you scream or the comments making you laugh. But they
love you and what you do and so they are around.

A programmer, there's only one thing i hate more than powerdowns and
that is USERS. Working on the computer, any of my kids, cats, wives ;)
disturbs me, i want it off, go away - until i start to THINK again - in
the end, not that software is good is important, but that you FEEL good.

Now you want your users go away - - -  - - - Think!

Social Contract names Users, Community, Free Software and 'not hide
problems'. Frankly, in my oppinion, a closing of the frontdesk would go
far beyond 'problem hiding'.

I think it's a kind of community what people are looking for. They want
to help and share and share a common experience. They are not
necessarily it professionals, may be just filled your gas tank and
again enjoy your and his common efforts. debian just feels good!

-- Be proud of what you achieved!
-- Have lots of FrontDesk people, who just love to do that.
-- Close the NM Webinterface
 -  or at least let people send their statement of intention with it.
-- Games for the website (gets only a halfhearted smiley)
 - so there is sth happening at the place they like.
 - or do you think user _must_ have 3 apt-get dist-upgrades a day?
-- Courses, Events, Coffemugs ... no - no offers, nothing finished

-- Real Courses - Web, shell, perl, DebianMaintainer, DebianDocuments
-- Real Debian Docs!

You will have happy users.
You will have better educated developers
You will have more use for people with different skills.

you will not have to wind down debian to a whispering circle of perl
enthusiasts from all the same highschools, fh's, etc., but have people
that don't meet & cheat, but love to devote time and will to debian.

You will now surprisingly see the end of my word for Sun Jan 28.
Everything expressed was my true oppinion or at least openheartedly the
exact opposite of it. Enough Neurons could hopefully be made to fire by
presenting that burst of not all random data.
No means to insult, propably just my lack of english. I LOVE debian
folks; you gave me fun and saved my life that was going to be poured in
front of a highly suspect proprietary p. O. S.
Thank you for listening, martin