Re: [Fwd: [RFC] Making NM 'by recommendation']

> We just want to avoid wasting AM time with this "putting people on hold"
> thing. That time should be spent helping people that have clear ideas about
> their application. If you're not ready - don't apply. If you are, go ahead.
> Simple.

Though I agree with many of the arguments being made by the
"conservative" (i.e. don't change) developers, I have to offer my own
situation as a comment. I have entered the queue less than a month ago,
so I cannot yet complain about the long wait. However, I can admit that I
do not yet have the skills I myself believe I will need as a developer --
DocBook, packaging, etc. Why did I apply, then? Because I know that this
is a long process, and would rather put myself into the list and learn
things during the wait than learn all of the skills and have to wait
another year (okay, exaggeration, I know) to use them. So, I agree that
people need to know these things as a developer and shouldn't be approved
until they have such skills, but I strongly disagree with those who
believe the skills need to be learned before applying in the first place.

----

Jonathan Eisenstein
jeisen@mindspring.com

PGP Public Key: http://www.mindspring.com/~jeisen/pgp.asc