Re: Security upgrade for potato by new major version and distro change?

>>"Josip" == Josip Rodin <joy@cibalia.gkvk.hr> writes:

 >> If the maintainer does not know C/C++, then they really have
 >> no business packaging a C/C++ programme. Debian is supposed to be
 >> more than a repository of everything out there (or a cool email
 >> address). It is also supposed to be about quality. If you do not
 >> understand the language your package is written in, it is highly
 >> unlikely your stewardship of that package is goging to be anything
 >> but mediocre.

 Josip> You're right in the general case, but I believe Christian was
 Josip> referring to being unable to backport a security patch in
 Josip> mysql. Just "knowing" a language wouldn't quite be sufficient
 Josip> to be able to do that. He did the right thing by asking for
 Josip> help -- that's hell of a lot better than ignoring the problem
 Josip> or doing the job lousy. (Both of which aren't unheard of,
 Josip> unfortunately.)

	Let me reiterate that I was in no way implying that debian
 developers are in dire need of having god hood conferred on them, and
 they are by no means omniscient, and thus indeed need help in solving
 problems from time to time.

	I was merely commenting that familiarity with the language
 your package be written in be a minimal requirement, since with out
 that you may not even be able to evaluate the help you get (not to
 mention making it more, umm, tiresome, for people to help you).

	manoj
--
 A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step. Lao Tsu