Re: [Fwd: [RFC] Making NM 'by recommendation']

Hi,

I don't claim to be an expert on the New Maintainer process, having recently entered
it myself, but I do have a somewhat unique view on how it works for someone new. Myself,
I started working on distributions with Stampede, back when it was still aiming to
accomplish something. As the team in Stampede went off into space (I mean that as
close to literally as you can imagine) I realized that my input was not appreciated,
or used, and this was in a team of maybe 12-15 developers.

Martin, the so-called "elitist" below, has been my AM, and he's been extremely helpful.
While I had packaged a number of applications before hand, and I had spent a substantial
amount of time reading the literature on the site, he was patient with him, as I aimed
to make my work 100% Lintian-compliant :) Myself, I have many goals for Debian, I'd like
to work with people on a security audit of the distro from top to bottom, I'd like to
work on a system to allow someone to build the entire distro from source, (like apt-get source <pack> -b, but
with dependencies, etc.)

However, for me, maintaining packages was the first step, and working with an AM to
get this stuff done, and working was my first priority. I think the NM process is
quite good as it is, and yes, there are many people who don't take things seriously.
But that's true of any job, volunteer or otherwise. In my day job, I run an application
development department at a large hosting company. In my time, I've placed calls
offering jobs, and never recieved a follow up. This is how people are.

I don't think we need to change the process, because, in spite of a few people who have
seemingly soured most established developers, a lot of us take this really seriously.
We work hard at it, and we want to make a difference, and be part of something important.

To me, Debian is the closest thing to a perfect distribution. I want to take it that
much closer.

Anyway, I apologize for this lengthy diatribe, but I want to make my feelings clear on
this. Ignore the jerks, and don't let them ruin it for the rest of us.

Regards,

aubin