Re: [Fwd: [RFC] Making NM 'by recommendation']

Aubin Paul wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't claim to be an expert on the New Maintainer process, having recently entered
> it myself, but I do have a somewhat unique view on how it works for someone new. Myself,
> I started working on distributions with Stampede, back when it was still aiming to
> accomplish something. As the team in Stampede went off into space (I mean that as
> close to literally as you can imagine) I realized that my input was not appreciated,
> or used, and this was in a team of maybe 12-15 developers.
>
> Martin, the so-called "elitist" below, has been my AM, and he's been extremely helpful.
> While I had packaged a number of applications before hand, and I had spent a substantial
> amount of time reading the literature on the site, he was patient with him, as I aimed
> to make my work 100% Lintian-compliant :) Myself, I have many goals for Debian, I'd like
> to work with people on a security audit of the distro from top to bottom, I'd like to
> work on a system to allow someone to build the entire distro from source, (like apt-get source <pack> -b, but
> with dependencies, etc.)
>
> However, for me, maintaining packages was the first step, and working with an AM to
> get this stuff done, and working was my first priority. I think the NM process is
> quite good as it is, and yes, there are many people who don't take things seriously.
> But that's true of any job, volunteer or otherwise. In my day job, I run an application
> development department at a large hosting company. In my time, I've placed calls
> offering jobs, and never recieved a follow up. This is how people are.
>
> I don't think we need to change the process, because, in spite of a few people who have
> seemingly soured most established developers, a lot of us take this really seriously.
> We work hard at it, and we want to make a difference, and be part of something important.
>
> To me, Debian is the closest thing to a perfect distribution. I want to take it that
> much closer.
>
> Anyway, I apologize for this lengthy diatribe, but I want to make my feelings clear on
> this. Ignore the jerks, and don't let them ruin it for the rest of us.
>
> Regards,
>
> aubin

Yea, fair enough, it was wrong of me to brand Martin an elitist, i
jumped in a bit too early, i do see NM is a fairly delicate issue. Being
in a position it accept a volenteers work is obviously very important to
a volunteer organisation, if we can do it more efficiently the
distribution will benefit from it.

After the last NM flamefest i guess im still a bit sensitive to proposed
changes of the NM proccess, i think we should try and find ways of
encouranging people to help in any way they want (being carefull not to
give more power than they need), rather than filtering out unwanted
people and saying they can only help as an "outsider".

Glenn