Re: ITP: ident2 - uberconfigurable identd

On 24 Jan 2001 17:07:53 +0100, Christian Surchi wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 09:49:46PM +1100, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > ident2 allows per-user configuration (if the sysadmin allows) via
> > ~/.ident. You can set:
> > * a fake ident reply
>
> oidentd too, IIRC.
>
> > * the real ident reply
>
> yes.
>
> > * no ident reply at all.
>
> I don't know about it, but I think so.

The sysadmin can also allow/disallow this behaviour by way of command
line switches.
Currently, I run it from inetd with /usr/sbin/ident2 ident2 -i -n
(allow reading of ~/.ident, and ~/.noident, respectively).
So, if I ran it with just /usr/sbin/ident2 ident2, it would ignore
~/.ident and ~/.noident, and always give the real reply. just -i would
make it ignore .noident, so you always get an ident reply, fake or not,
and just -n would make it ignore ~/.ident, so you either get the real
reply or none at all. Good for paranoid sysadmins, so they can tell
who's doing the skr1p7 k1dd13 shiite on IRC, or something.

=) d

--
Daniel Stone
Linux Kernel Developer