Re: Migration to Pentium?

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 05:13:27PM -0400, Ben Armstrong wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 03:25:20PM -0500, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > That page only has CPU statistics for about 57% of the systems surveyed (the
> > rest are 'Others').  Since this is not guaranteed to be a random or fair
> > sampling, the CPU statistics are pretty much useless.
>
> And even the CPU stats listed are going to be inaccurate, as a bunch of
> that data is going to be outdated.  I registered some systems a long time
> ago (Debian 0.93R6) and I know at least two of those systems are long
> since dead and buried.  How many people do you think, after registering
> a machine, are going to go back and remove their entry once the machine
> is decommissioned?
>
> Anyway, it seems I am flogging a dead horse now, so I'll shut up ...

If someone were to write a portable client that would continually update the
statistics for that site, those statistics would be much more useful.  Things
like CPU type, kernel version and distribution name are not hard to determine
programmatically.  Maybe somebody else is already doing this.

--
 - mdz