Migration to Pentium?

Hi folks,

I would like to make the suggestion to establish a 'i586' tree
of the Debian binaries for Sid. This tree should be built using the
appropriate compiler flags to benefit from the improved technology
of the last years.

Maybe you have seen the Stampede Linux distribution
(http://www.stampede.org/). They promise a speed improvement of
10% - 30% compared to i386 binaries. I would like to get this from
Debian, too.

Of course it is not my suggestion to drop support of the i386
platform. I would like to get an _additional_ binary tree. But I
doubt that there are more than 10% of all Debian installations
using a i386 or i486.

Regards

Harri