Re: Migration to Pentium?

* Harald Dunkel <dunkel@synopsys.COM> [2001-01-23T08:36+0100]:
[ history repeating: a new <insert-your-optimized-arch-here> binary tree ]

Hi!

Your suggestion is /not new/ and /always/ it getsshot down[1].
Please, search the list archives.

[1] you might consider these points:
    * Why i586?

      There are i486, i686, Athlon, etc., (IIRC) various Alpha's, <you
      name it> ...

    * So, /you/ want to pay for additional harddisk- and mirror space
      and bandwidth?  Please, go ahead!

    * If you need them, there's always the possibility to install the
      pentium-builder package and rebuild packages /yourself/.  Feel
      free to put them online somewhere to share them with others.
      Your help will acknowledged, I'm sure.

[ these points came straight out of my mind, I'm sure there are more
  to mention... ]

> Of course it is not my suggestion to drop support of the i386
> platform. I would like to get an _additional_ binary tree. But I
> doubt that there are more than 10% of all Debian installations
> using a i386 or i486.

So, you have at least a rough overview of all Debian installations?
Terrific!

Care to share the figures with us?  (If not, where does the `10%'
figure come from?)

regards,
Michael
--
 /~\ ASCII ribbon | Compaq Safety & Comfort Guide:
 \ / campaign     | "Avoid long periods of typing in ways that place