Re: Install and RAID

    Adam> This is a ridiculous discussion, IMHO.  Anyone who is
    Adam> serious about protecting their data buys a hardware RAID
    Adam> controller.  Software RAID is a hack, reserved for those few
    Adam> situations where someone wants to have raid but is unwilling
    Adam> to shell out the few hundred dollars for a decent controller

Anyone who is serious about protecting there data and maiximising
their availability uses multiple, disparate paths to seperate I/O
sub-systems.  That way failure of any one component does not result in
a long-term[1] outage while you wait around for someone to find and
replace the necessary path.

The only solution to this problem is software RAID1 or dual-ported
disk and an HA cluster.

[1] one measured in hours when application down time is measured in
minutes.

--
Stephen

"If I claimed I was emporer just cause some moistened bint lobbed a
scimitar at me they'd put me away"