Re: Install and RAID

hi,

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 12:48:42AM +0100, Andreas Trottmann wrote:
> No. /etc/fstab will reference /dev/mdX devices, which just "are not
> there" with a kernel that has no software raid support compiled in.
>
> The corresponding /dev/hdXX devices contain the data, are "mountable"
> and work 100%, but if fstab tells the kernel that the /usr filesystem is
> to be mounted from /dev/md2, no "raidless" kernel will figure out that
> it needs to mount /dev/hda5 instead.

will it work with filesystem labels?

from mount(8):
  -L label	Mount the partition that has the specified label.

with something like this in /etc/fstab
LABEL=label	/mnt ext2 default 0 2

will the kernel be confused, if /dev/sda1 and /dev/md0 contain the same
label, or will it just take /dev/md0?

/me doesn't have raid compiled in, could anyone check this?

using labels would be good anyway, as the user could swap his disks
(primarys/secondar, master/slave, scsi-ids) without making the system
unbootable

hmm, does label support work for the root-disk? haven't checked that

--
CU,		  / Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen, Germany
Martin Waitz	//  [Tali on IRCnet]  [tali.home.pages.de] _________