Re: Few questions about changing source before packaging...

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 11:27:59PM +0100, Sander Smeenk (CistroN Medewerker) wrote:
> I have a few questions because I am still a little newbie at this :]

for this is debian-mentor

> First of all.. Is it OK for me to apply patches to the source
> that improves the program? Or should all modifications to the
> source go via the upstream author? In fact I patched the micq
> source so that it reconnects to the server if the server closed
> the connection, and this is a reported bug (#72108).

Yes you are allowed to change the source (not the orig.tar.gz, but
with the debian-diff-file)

But send your patches to upstream.

> Second.. I adopted the package... With libgd (also adopted) I just
> apt-get source'd the package, altered the changelog and uploaded it
> again. Is this the correct way to do this?

- close bugs in wnpp
- change the Maintainer value in debian/control

Gruss
Grisu
 als typisch für linux benutzer gilt aber wohl immernoch eher was ala:
"man blafurz | grep RTFM | cut -c  /d 10-2837 | uahha"  (Adam Kopacz)