Few questions about changing source before packaging...

Hi,

As you all could've read I just adopted the micq package and i'm
very happy with that since I use micq very often...

I have a few questions because I am still a little newbie at this :]

First of all.. Is it OK for me to apply patches to the source
that improves the program? Or should all modifications to the
source go via the upstream author? In fact I patched the micq
source so that it reconnects to the server if the server closed
the connection, and this is a reported bug (#72108).

And a while back I altered the prompt a bit so I could see whom I
sent a message the last time ('r' (reply to last received) and 'a'
(reply to last sent) values).

Second.. I adopted the package... With libgd (also adopted) I just
apt-get source'd the package, altered the changelog and uploaded it
again. Is this the correct way to do this?

That's about it :]

Regards,
Sander.