Re: Making 256 color Xterm support the default.

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 08:56:13PM -0500, Scott A Crosby wrote:
> Most display's now are 16 or 24 bit. While with 8-bit displays, it makes
> sense to minimize the number of colors that an xterm ANSI terminal uses,
> that reasoning doesn't apply anymore.
>
> The 256-color xterm gives:
>    8 Standard ansi colors
>    8 Bright ansi colors
>   24 Level greyscale ramp
>  216 6x6x6 colorcube.
>
> See [4] for the xterm control sequences. This information is also in the
> new xterm manpage [5]. Enabling it requires making a #define when
> compiling XFree86.
>
> So, unless there are a signifigant number of users who are limited to
> 8-bit displays, I propose that we consider making 256-color xterms the
> default.

but please, PLEASE, in that case, either made that configurable during
runtime and tell about the option at the and of installation, or
make two packages. one with 256 colours and one with 16.

I am running a bunch of computers with 8-bit displays and this would
have a great negative effect on me...