CSS capable DVD plugin for xine?

(please Cc: answers to me as I'm not on -devel!)

Hi,

I'm maintaining xine, an MPEG player that is (among other stream types)
able to play Video CDs and DVDs.

However, the stock player (available on xine.sourceforge.net) doesn't
support CSS or Region Code protected DVDs for "legal issues". There is an
input plugin that supports these DVD "features" available on
http://members.nbci.com/captain_css/.

I would like to make a Debian package from that, as well, as it is really
useful for those who want to watch their DVDs. However, the legal
situation concerning CSS is far from clear, at least for me.

Does anybody know if there's a chance to package the plugin?
Should that package go to non-US? to non-free?
Or is it a legal no-go?

Any help appreciated. But I think we need a lawyer here...

Thanks,
	Siggi