Re: rpc.* services in default install

Hello.

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 08:15:42AM -0800, Erik Hollensbe wrote:
> Basically, I'm having a hard time understanding why the portmapper, rpc.*,
> etc, (especially NFS) are default installed and in runlevel 2.
Yeah, I would ship my own distribution with _nothing_ secured, and
all daemons running around like hell, because this way I can get
easy access to my own distro on other machines! Of course I would
sell it under the slogan "everything preinstalled", hehe.

Oh, btw, its interesting that the Debian FTP server at ftp.debian.de is
making an ident request.
I am rejecting this, but perhaps with DENY there would be a timeout?
It is especially annoying if you installed logcheck and every time
you use apt-get you get mail ;)
Firewall log entry:
$date localhost kernel: Packet log: www-me REJECT ppp0 PROTO=6
141.76.2.4:1939 $myhost:113 L=60 S=0x00 I=55214 F=0x4000 T=53 SYN (#1)

My suggestion is to remove the portmapper from standard install
and make it optional.
And if you install it, disable all services from it per default.
Then, prompt a message "use update-inetd to enable this or that daemon".

Bastian Kleineidam