SDL -> libarts -> libqt crazyness

I just did a routine 'apt-get -u dist-upgrade' and to my
horror I see that libqt2.2 is going to be installed on
my computer. I have to say that I've always tried to
keep as far away from KDE and QT as possible. (Without
talking about it's past problems, I just think that
both KDE and QT are and ugly GUI. Just a personal
oppinion, no flames please.)

I traced the dependency to libarts, which in turn
is a dependency for libsdl1.1. As outraged as I am
about having libqt2.2 installed now, I just think
it's crazy that a sound daemon lib like libarts should
depend on a GUI library like QT. After all libesd0
does not depend on GTK. If it uses some non-graphical
QT classes, then shouldn't that part of it be split out
like glib from GTK?

I could of course solve my problem by removing libsdl1.1,
but I keep it like many others so I can play games that
use if for graphics. And here is another crazyness
with dependencies, libsdl1.1 depends on ALL of the following:
libarts, libasound1 and libesd0. I'd sure like to see it
outputting sound using all three of them at the same time!
What happend to modularity, wouldn't it be better to have
libsdl1.1, and then libsdl1.1-libarts-plugin, libsdl1.1-libesd0-plugin
and libsdl1.1-libasound1-plugin?

I'd like to see libqt gone from my installation if I don't use
it, but this dependency silliness should be resolved as well.

Thanks.

Igor