Re: Solution strategy: Re: use and abuse of debconf

On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 11:00:48AM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:

> Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > Yes, but how would we store a per-package (or possibly n-per-package, for
> > packages with multiple config files) copy of the user's response?  The
> > config script would need to be able to say "ask
> > shared/overwrite_config_file, but store it as
> > mypackage/overwrite_config_file_etc_foo_conf".
>
> I suggest you read the debconf tutorial and/or spec, since they explain how
> to do this.

Answering the question would have been more useful.  I know that one can fake
this by futzing with the 'seen' flag.  Is this what you are referring to?

db_fget mypackage/foo seen
db_fset shared/foo seen $RET
db_subst shared/foo config_file $MY_CONFIG_FILE
db_input medium share/foo

This is not what I had in mind, but it would work, I suppose.

Also, I note that there is a /usr/share/debconf/templates directory in the
current debconf package.  Why not put standard templates there, rather than in
a separate package?  For what purpose was this directory intended?  We're
talking maybe a kilobyte here to start, maybe a few kilobytes eventually.
There's no need for a separate package.

--
 - mdz