Re: PRE Version numbers

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 09:02:54PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> > $ dpkg --compare-versions '1.4-0pre2-1' '<<' '1.4-1'; echo $?
> > 1
> >
> > Apparently dpkg treats 1.4-0pre2-1 as greater than 1.4-1, so this
> > wouldn't work...
>
> I guess, 1.4-0.pre2-1 would be the solution...
> It doesn't look that nice, but it is what it is.

*sigh*

$ dpkg --compare-versions 1.4-0pre2-1 lt 1.4-1 && echo true || echo false
false

Not to mention that cvs-buildpackage REALLY doesn't like this.

> Also some people seem to use
>
> 1.3+1.4pre2-1 etc.
>
> This seems to work too...

Yes, this works.  And it is currently the only thing that does.

> It'd be nice if there was something in the developers
> manual because this discussion seems to come up in debian-devel
> from time to time.

Based on the number of suggestions that I've seen that don't even survive
the dpkg --compare-versions test, clearly SOMETHING needs doing because at
the moment I would surmise that if this list is any indication, half the
project doesn't know how to do it.  I certainly hope this is a case of
silent majority, who does know what works and what doesn't.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>                Free software developer

For every vision there is an equal and opposite revision.