Re: New-maintainer - STOP THAT SHIT

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 05:02:43AM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > I'm not really sure I agree with that. Take Neal's example: he waited a
> > little over a month for an AM to be assigned to him, and then took ten
> > days to get an account. In his case, the bottleneck was AM-assignment.
> I am sure you will be able to pick out an arbitrary number of positives.

Well, to be honest, I don't really think leaving Neal hanging for a month
with no one paying any attention to him at all is particularly reasonable.
I'm fairly sure I didn't get left hanging for that long when I applied,
ages ago, and Neal's certainly more worthy of attention than I was at
the time.

That's not to say the AM crowd are doing a bad job: they're not, they're
doing a great job, it's just that there are more new-maintainers than
they can cope with.

> > You assume there are other people.
> Yes, I do, although it doesn't do anything to my argument. You, on the other
> hand, assume that there are no other people, and this I find rather
> unlikely.

I've seen a lot of people whom I'd consider plausible DAMs assert that
there must be heaps of qualified people who can help, and I've seen none
of them say "me for example".

I've also seen a lot of people say "hey, I can run adduser, I'll be a
DAM if you need help", and go on to further underestimate the purpose
of that roll.

I have seen James say there are a few AMs he'd be happy to see help him
out as DAMs, but that all of them have too many other things to do to
have enough time to help.

> Laying the (even perceived) responsibility of a whole part of Debian into
> the hands of a single person has lead to resignation before (Christian
> Schwartz wrt Policy). It was one of Manojs excellent intuitions to not let
> this happen again in this area,

You'll note that, even so, policy hasn't been updated since August last
year, five months ago. You'll note the longest delay between updates while
Ian Jackson was maintaining it himself was eleven days, while David Morris
was maintaining it six days, while Christian Schwarz was maintaining it
was three months, and the longest delay when the maintainership passed
from one of those to another was also around three months. You'll note
we only managed three policy updates last year. I'm not sure policy is
the best example of an efficiently maintained package.

Cheers,
aj

     ``Thanks to all avid pokers out there''
                       -- linux.conf.au, 17-20 January 2001